Monday, June 11, 2012

Hofma Preserve, Grand Haven, MI




Woo hoo!  I remembered my camera. Let me know what you think of my talent (or if you think I have no talent for photography at all). I took 64,299 steps this week, which leaves me with 626,986 steps to go before Labor Day. How are you doing with this?

The Hofma Preserve is one of my favorite trails anywhere, and it just happens to be located in my own back yard. The foliage is dense, the wildlife is vibrant, and the presence of God whispers to me through the branches of the trees. The softness of the earth makes me feel as though I’m traipsing through in my bedroom slippers.

Sunglasses are a must and not just for the obvious sun protection; they also serve as bug protectors. A little friend joined me on the second half of the plank bridge yesterday: a dragonfly lit right about eye-level, a couple yards ahead, then flittered off, and then hovered again, over and over, almost as if he was leading the way.
“Now, Mr. Bug, I know I’m just a feeble-minded human, but even I can figure out the paths in Hofma.”

It hasn’t always been this way, though. I remember the first couple of times I tried to walk it. I would meander in circles or get so confused that I couldn’t find my car. I can blame part of this on my faulty sense of direction, but the posted maps (or lack thereof) didn’t help. Now that the Powers That Be fixed the map problem, I am one very grateful walker.

A thought hit me yesterday as I took pictures of the park’s beauty: we never look at trees and say, “Can you believe how fat it is?” or “Those leaves just don’t flatter its limbs at all!” Nope. In nature, we appreciate the magnificence of each tree. We smile at each flower that bobs its head in our direction. We pause with wonder at every little critter that runs alongside our path. We are enthralled with what we see. We appreciate the intricacy, the genius, of it all.

Why can’t we appreciate each other in the same way?
·         Is it competition that hinders us?
·         Do we suffer from strained self images?
·         Are we intimidated by the successes of others?
·         Or does each of the above (and many I didn’t think of) contribute to our coldness, our seeming lack of care?

I John 4:20 reads in the NIV, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” – Powerful words from a God who expects more from us than loving the easy people.

We have to get a handle on this if we are to be the light God called us to be. For the millions of hurting people who are begging for one person, one person they can trust, we must be willing to look beyond ourselves, to travel beyond our own hurts, to show them God’s love. If we as Christians cannot offer this kind of love, what hope does anyone have?

Think of a person in your life who really frustrates you – really gets under your skin. How will you show him or her love this week? Share with me! I need help in this area, too!
Enjoy your day. Enjoy this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your explanations all seem quite valid. I believe, as you do, that it is a combination of many things that give us that coldness that you speak of. Very insightful observations Anna. I think you would have made a terrific psychologist.

B Shepherd